Best train journeys around the world
The best train journeys around the world bring a new dimension to your travels, making you discover much more and have a much more memorable trip.
While for many of us trains might be a mean of daily commute, but they do hold a romanticism and old world charm that can never be compared to flying or driving. A train ride helps you interact with a countryside or scenery in a much better way than other modes of transport, plus the slow speed of train help you observe the beauty in a much relaxed way.
Therefore, here’s a list of the best train journeys around the world that you need to experience:
• Blue Train, South Africa: One of the best train journeys around the world belongs to South Africa’s Blue train. It runs between Pretoria and Cape Town, through the mystifying landscape. The different parts of the day will show you different hues of South Africa; as you’ll start your journey by Blue train, you’ll glide past the amazing waterfalls, and huge sunflower farms with flocks of wild ostrich showing their glimpse in between. Later in the day, the train takes a stop at the diamond mines of Kimberly before making its way through the desert lands of the Karoo as the night falls and moon shines over these desert lands. Next morning you’ll find yourself amidst the world’s best vineyards before ending your journey in the shadow of table mountain. The luxury of Blue train includes marble tiled and gold plumbed bathrooms, gourmet dining, cigar stocked lounges, and you’ll get the personal butlers as well. http://www.bluetrain.co.za/
• Eastern & Oriental Express, Thailand-Malaysia-Singapore: While most of the people prefer flying between Bangkok and Singapore, the romantics still prefer the Agatha Christie like journey in an Oriental ambience coupled with the wonders of Malay Peninsula. This is a sister train to Venice Simplon Orient express and is decked with all kinds of luxuries including an open air observation car that allows the encapsulating aromas of the region to stream onboard. The three types of cabins namely Pullman, State and Presidential are fitted with lower and upper berth along with a personal bathroom. You can later join in the fellow passengers on one of the luxurious train journeys in the world by heading to the Piano bar, which is the social hub of this train. http://www.orient-express.com/web/eoe/eastern_and_oriental_express.jsp
• Glacier Express, Switzerland: This might be one of the slowest express train in the world, but it covers 270 kms in 8 hours while letting you experience some of the finest scenic views that lie between St. Moritz and Zermatt in the Swiss Alps. Considered as one of the best train journeys around the world, this train crosses 291 bridges, 91 tunnels and chugs along at an altitude of 6670 feet. This fairyland experience by glacier express is done in the glass-roofed carriages, which help you view the huge mountains easily, and gives you the time of your life. http://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/Pages/default.aspx
• Pride of Africa, Cape Town to Dar Es Salaam: This is one of the most glorious train journeys you’ll ever experience. The train accommodates 72 guests, who then depart on a 14-day journey through the heartland of Africa in their spacious suites with each having its own bar fridge, double bedroom, modern en suite bathrooms with hairdryer and other personal grooming stuff, as the train moves along through some of the wildest landscapes in Africa. The train is hauled by steam locomotive at places, and you can enjoy the old world charm of this train ride by opening the windows and staring into the African landscape emerging through the locomotive’s steam. http://www.rovos.com/
• Maharajas’ Express, Delhi-India: Maharajas’ express is hailed as the most luxurious train in India, and it’s when India has a host of luxury trains running in different parts of the country. Maharajas’ express has all the charms that make it a palace chugging on the wheels, and you get the complete royal treatment once you’re inside. Maharajas’ express can be your fabulous retreat while you’re on a trip to India, and you can visit some of the finest heritage sites India has to offer via this train. The train’s interior showcase the beauty of historic architecture similar to Taj Mahal and different palaces of India. This is truly one of best train journeys around the world. http://www.maharajas-express-india.com/